Distributing Python programs

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 28 10:05:56 EST 2004

    Graham> Can I install Python on a networked server and have any user run
    Graham> Python programs without having to go through the 9Mb client
    Graham> install?

Are you talking about Windows?  I think that as long as you copy
Python23.dll to the same directory as python.exe you will be okay.  For
Unix-y systems as long as everyone is on the same architecture you should be
okay.

    Graham> What are my options for distributing Python programs to my users?

Distutils is probably the way to go assuming they already have access to
Python proper.  Check the distutils docs:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-distutils.html

Otherwise, take a look at py2exe (Windows only) or Gordon MacMillan's
installer (cross-platform?).

Skip