PythonWin problems

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 4 17:35:18 EST 2004

r.e.s. wrote:
> "Colin J. Williams" <cjw at sympatico.ca> wrote ...
>
>>PythonWin has been my favourite IDE for quite a while.
>>
>>When one right clicks on a .py file in the Windows Explorer, among the
>>options are Open and Edit.  The former is the default and executes
>>Python, with the selected script.  The latter activates the PythonWin
>>editor, with the selected script.
>>
>>Since, most frequently, I wish to edit the script, or execute it with
>>the debugger, I tried changing the default to Edit, using the Edit File
>>Type menu.
>

> FWIW ...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "Edit File Type menu".
> Using WinXP Pro, in Windows Explorer I went to
> Tools/Folder Options/File Types
> selected PY, clicked Advanced, and set the default to Edit.
I thought of this activity as editing.
> Now double-clicking a .py file brings it up in PythonWin,
> and I've experienced neither of the problems that you report below.
>

>>Unfortunately, this leads to a couple of problems:
>>
>>1. Any activity becomes horrendously slow, and
>>2. The following message appears:
>>    LoadBarState failed - LoadBarState failed (with win32 exception!)
>>[Dbg]>>>

Many thanks to those who responded.

I used the ideas of John Roth and modified my XP registry, using
Registrar-Lite, to read:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File]
@="Python File"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\AutoRegister]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\PythonCOM23.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PYTHON23\\Py.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell]
@="Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit\command]
@="C:\\Python23\\pythonwin.exe /edit \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command]
@="C:\\Python23\\Pythonw.exe C:\\Python23\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw -e \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\PYTHON23\\python.exe \"%1\" %*"

All functions well now.

Thanks.

Colin W.