JPG Image Load,Resize,Save with 100% Python?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Mon Feb 9 07:46:40 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu> wrote in message news:<c06vne$ilr$1 at news.service.uci.edu>...
> > There is nothing like this.
> >
> > Because this is a task that can't be done in Python well.
> > You must expect it to be around 140 times (thats 14000%) slower then a
> > C library thats why nobody wants to do it.
>
> 140 seems pretty extreme.  Most tests I've run put numeric calculations
> at around 10-20 times slower, not 140.

A Jpeg libaary with a good optimization does only integer algorithm
and this is different from FP operations which are already slow on
Intel CPU's.

But i find find it strange that numerics (without using special
extensions) should only be 10-20 times slower then C. This is not what
you find in other benchmarks.

For example in the great language shootout
"http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/bench/sieve/"
you find that the "Sieve of Eratosthenes" as an integer algorithm 207
times slower then c. I think the algorithms are compareable in their
use of instructions.