XML best practices (was: Python as replacement for PHP?)

Matt Garrish matthew.garrish at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 28 07:56:45 EST 2004

"Cameron Laird" <claird at lairds.com> wrote in message
news:1040489b2ookafd at corp.supernews.com...
> In article <30260531.0402271901.1bbdda99 at posting.google.com>,
> simo <simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> .
> >Perl - bloody fast, if you're doing lots of text processing/regex
> >(e.g. XML parsing) then Perl is it, probably best for sysadmin tasks
> >too. We use this for large reports at work. I love its hash handling
> .
> Let me get this straight:  your preferred vehicle for XML
> parsing is Perl regular expressions?  That's ... well, it's
> a different impression than I've ever gained from anyone
> else with deep XML experience.  It's sure not my first
> instinct.

Not sure what the entire context of this thread is, but I get the impression
that you've misread what he was saying. XML parsing is an example of text
processing, and there are a number of Perl modules that can be used for that
task. Perl probably wouldn't be my first choice for parsing markup languages
(I'd personally use Omnimark), but it is all things to all people.

Matt