Taking Over the Screen - Tkinter

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at N0SP4M.com
Thu Feb 26 04:55:15 EST 2004

Fuzzyman wrote:
> I'm working on a presentation program that needs to produce 'full
> screen' images.
>
> The effect will be something like a powerpoint presentation.
> In actual fact it's a song database with lyrics - and each 'screen'
> will need a widget for next verse, previous verse, chorus etc..... so
> what I'd really like is a Tk text widget that is full screen sized.
>
> (For the moment I'll just use a large window - most of the work will
> be in building the interface to the database).
>
> How do I either -
>
> 1) Produce a borderless full screen window *or*
> 2) Detect the window size
>
> using Tkinter pereferably................
>

> Thanks,
>
> Fuzzy
>
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

To produce a borderless window: method overrideredirect on Toplevel's; this
makes the window manager (if that has any meaning on your platform) ignore the
window, so it doesn't draw any decorations.

To get the size of the screen: methods winfo_screenwidth and winfo_screenheight
on any Tkinter object.

To resize your window: method geometry on Toplevel's; the geometry is encoded in
a string with the format "WxH+X+Y", so you'll want:
"%sx%s+0+0" % (w.winfo_screenwidth(), w.winfo_screenheight())

You may also have to explicitely call the method tkraise on your borderless
window on Windows, because such windows have a tendency to appear below all
other ones.

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -