Tkinter on RedHat Linux 9.0

Russell E. Owen no at spam.invalid
Thu Feb 26 16:24:29 EST 2004

In article <103q06u9koeq30e at corp.supernews.com>,
 rich hammett <bubbarichau at warmmail.com> wrote:

>In fact, the python rpm from redhat CLAIMS to include
>Tkinter already.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

My own experience with a freshly installed RH 9 system was that it
included fairly old versions of tcl/tk and python, but no Tkinter.

But it seems likely that there are downloadable Python RPMs that include
Tkinter. (Whether that includes the RPM at the RedHat site, I could not
say.) Still... it's really easy to build Python from source (kudos to
the developers!), and if tcl/tk are available in the usual location then
Tkinter is automatically built. (That's the route I went because I also
wanted a special destination directory.) If you do go this route, be
sure to check the ReadMe; there's a build flag you should set for RH
Linux.

-- Russell