How does Ruby compare to Python?? How good is DESIGN of Rubycompared to Python?

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Wed Feb 25 15:42:38 EST 2004

In article <mailman.100.1077717447.8594.python-list at python.org>, Dave Brueck wrote:
> def someFunc(callback):
>   print callback(5,6)
>
> def functionCallback(a, b):
>   return a + b
>
> class Foo:
>   def methodCallback(self, a, b):
>     return a * b
>
> then both these work:
>
> someFunc(functionCallback)
> f = Foo()
> someFunc(f.methodCallback)
>
> This is pretty darn useful and IMO quite Pythonic: the creator of the function
> and the creator of the callback have to agree on only the most minimal set of
> details - just those relating to the calling interface - leaving completely
> open any implementation details.

I still don't see how this is notable.  Seems perfectly straightforward to
me - I'd just assume that's how it worked except in C++, about which I
never assume anything.

A better example of buond vs. unbound methods is this:

def boundFunc(callback):
    print callback(5, 6)

def unboundFunc(obj, callback):
    print callback(obj, 5, 6)

def functionCallback(a, b):
    return a + b

class Foo:
    def methodCallback(self, a, b):
        return a * b + self.c
    def setc(self, c):
        self.c = c

>>> boundFunc(functionCallback)
11
>>> f = Foo()
>>> f.setc(3)
>>> boundFunc(f.methodCallback)
33
>>> unboundFunc(f, Foo.methodCallback)
33

For anyone who does care, the Ruby version is

def boundFunc(callback)
    puts callback.call(5, 6)
end

def unboundFunc(obj, callback)
    callback.bind(obj).call(5, 6)
end

def functionCallback(a, b)
    return a + b
end

class Foo
    def methodCallback(a, b)
        return a * b + @c
    end
    def setc(c)
        @c = c
    end
end

> boundFunc(method(:functionCallback))
11
=> nil
> f = Foo.new
=> #<Foo:0x403119dc>
> f.setc(3)
=> 3
> boundFunc(f.method(:methodCallback))
33
=> nil
> unboundFunc(f, Foo.instance_method(:methodCallback))
=> 33

It's a little more cumbersome to manipulate functions because of the
extra calls to "call" and "bind", because "f.methodCallback" actually
calls the method with no params instead of returning a reference to it.
This is one of the things I dislike about Ruby, but it's not like
unbound methods are missing from the language.

(I was wrong when I said "unbound method" was a concept that had no
meaning to Ruby - it even had a "bind" method to support them.  Didn't
know about that until I looked it up just now.)

Joe