Best Beginner's Guide To Python?

sean sean_berry at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 02:25:36 EST 2004

Not exactly sure what you mean by where to go after that.

Do you mean what language to tackle next?  Or what book to read next?

If you are looking for a good book... look no further than the Oreilly
series of books on Python.  Also, I found the python book by deitel to be a
pretty good beginning read.  As previously mentioned... the python tutorial
on python.org is a great thing to check out as well.

Python is a great language that I have picked up very quickly and have grown
to love it.  However it is not like any other language that I have seen in
two major ways.

1)  Their are no semi-colons at the end of lines --- nice if you haven't
done any programming, but a little frustrating when you put one on almost
automatically when writing code.

2)  No use of curly braces {} to group code.  This is by far my biggest
problem with python.  I have, on more than one occasion, needed to put some
code in a loop for testing purposes.  In java, c, perl, etc... you write
your looping statement and throw a couple of braces around the code you want
it to use.  In python, you write your looping statement... but then have to
indent each line that will be looping.  After testing, all indents must then
be deleted.

I can deal without the semi-colons, but would love to see implementation of
curly braces for code grouping.

news:3b48d777.0402052148.3cd8e16c at posting.google.com...