ANN: matplotlib-0.50 - python plots

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:59:06 EST 2004

    Lou> I checked the web site and maybe I missed it, but I didn't
    Lou> see a list of platforms supported although Red Hat and
    Lou> Windows were mentioned in backend requirements.  In
    Lou> particular, is the Macintosh (OS X) supported?

Most of the matplotlib backends work fine on OS X.  Basically, you
just need to make sure you have the prerequisites for a given backend
installed as described on
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/backends.html.  Eg if you want to
use the wx backend, you'll need wxpython, if you want to use the gtk
backend, you'll need to install GTK and pygtk (available with fink),
and so on.

I did have to make a change to setupext.py for the antigrain backend.
If you want to compile antigrain on OS X, set the BUILD_AGG and
BUILD_FONTTOOLS flags in setup.py and replace setupext.py with the
file linked here

  http://nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/files/share/setupext.py

Let me know how this works,
JDH