Problems with win32com and IE, WindowState

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Feb 9 15:12:35 EST 2004

Jan H wrote:

> Background: I am a newbe trying to store the state of an Internet
> Explorer Application with the use of win32.com and python. I use
> python 2.3.
>
> Problem 1: The state is accessible, but not the hole state. I am
> missing the possibility to retrieve if the IE is minimized or not,
> also known as WindowState for word application. This could be found by
> detecting that the value of top and left is -32000, but will not help
> me in restoring the value to its old value.  I wish to find the
> WindowState for the IE object and if the object is minimized I would
> like to get the Top and Left position of the object if restored.
>
> Code:
> import win32com.client
> ie=win32com.client.Dispatch('InternetExplorer.Application')
> ie.Visible=1
>
> Problem 2: Would like to find out if the favourites toolbar is open or
> not. I can not find out how to retrieve this property.

These sound much more like IE- and Windows-specific questions than
anything to do with Python specifically.  I'd suggest checking the
Microsoft msdn pages for more information about the object model
in question, since anything you find there should apply equally
well to Python as it does to VB or C#.

-Peter