[ANN]PyCrash 0.2 released

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Fri Feb 6 06:45:34 EST 2004

max khesin <max at NcOviSsPiAoMntech.com> wrote in message news:<iQwUb.180248$4F2.22043362 at twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> Carmine Noviello wrote:
>
> >>Sounds great but... Why GPL (and not python)? It will prevent a lot of
> >>us working grunts from using the module in the Commanie's code... And we
> >>want MORE python!

How does it prevent people using it? My impression was that one isn't
necessarily going to ship production code with PyCrash. Even if people
will do that, there are still plenty of situations where the GPL won't
stop them.

> > I have chosen the GPL without any special reason: I know it and so I
> > simply used it. I?m not a license expert: I write code, no contracts.
> > However, my major intent is to contribute to python community with this
> > tool: so, if the type of licence can be a problem for the end-user I?m
> > ready to change it in the future.

I think it's a fair choice of licence.

> GPL license has a two-fold agenda (whether you like it or not):
> - to protect the developer from liability (with our crazy lawers it is
> necessary for to protect yourself from some idiot misusing your generous
> contribution)

True.

> - (this is a political-socioeconomic one) to spread GPL virally into
> code that uses it to achieve world peace, prosperity and whatever in the
> way Richard Stallman envisions it.

Interesting use of Ballmeresque terminology there. Usage of "cancer"
and "un-American" will give you a full house.

>                                    This is a complicated issue, and I
> personally prefer to avoid commiting my code to this vision without
> fully understanding the implications. What it basically means to me is
> that I cannot use your code at work, which is annoying.

Perhaps you can't use GPL'd code at work, and you therefore come out
with this rhetoric for pretty much the same reasons that Microsoft and
SCO attack the GPL: because they can't just lift GPL-licensed code,
stuff it into their own products and then refuse to treat their users
as they themselves have been treated. That doesn't stop lots of other
commercial outfits from using GPL'd code, however.

Paul