Python Productivity Gain?

jmdeschamps jmdeschamps at cvm.qc.ca
Tue Feb 17 16:41:12 EST 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<40323814.3129EA4B at engcorp.com>...
> Harry George wrote in a thought-provoking post:
> >
> > Of course, even in the natural history phase pioneers and advance
> > scouts are capable of detecting an easier pass through the mountains
> > of comlexity.  If 20 people from varied background, each of whom has
> > worked in several languages, tell me that Python is a really great
> > language, then I'll take that as a significant data point.  Especially
> > if they are dumping their previously favorite languages (as varied as
> > COBOL, Perl, Java, C++, VB, Modula-3, Lisp, Prolog) to focus on
> > Python.
>
> My background is (roughly in order) APL, FORTRAN, BASIC, Assembly, C,
> university :-), Pascal, C++, Object Pascal, Java, LabVIEW, and Python
> (with a dozen others I forget) and I'm telling you Python is a really
> great language.  I've also dumped my previously favourite languages
> (to wit, BASIC, C, C++, Delphi, and Java) to focus on Python.
>
> Now all you need are 19 others and we'll have a significant data point.
> (Signifying what?  That's what I want to know. ;-)
>
> -Peter

Well here goes! I started in Prolog (coming from formal logic it was a
breeze), done Pascal, some Forth (not much), a little Smalltalk, C,
C++, Java, Javascript, HyperTalk/Supertalk,(+ otherTalks ) - VB, VBA,
AppleScript, started doing Perl (for CGI) then read about doing this
stuff in Python instead! Ported my research work from Java to Python
and never looked back (but sure you can always use another language:-)
Wow, never had so much fun since Working with Cratfman on NeXT! Thanks
GvR!

Jean-Marc
ps That's 2, 18 to go!