undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode

Eric Moors scare.crow at oz.land
Tue Feb 24 07:40:11 EST 2004

/home/me>redhat-config-services

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/redhat-config-services/serviceconf.py", line 26, in ?
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhpl/__init__.py", line 43, in ?
    # dummy __init__ so that things work
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ihooks.py", line 397, in import_module
    q, tail = self.find_head_package(parent, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ihooks.py", line 433, in find_head_package
    q = self.import_it(head, qname, parent)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ihooks.py", line 486, in import_it
    m = self.loader.load_module(fqname, stuff)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ihooks.py", line 268, in load_module
    m = self.hooks.load_dynamic(name, filename, file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/ltihooks.py", line 51, in
load_dynamic
    return ihooks.Hooks.load_dynamic(self, name, filename, file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ihooks.py", line 172, in load_dynamic
    return imp.load_dynamic(name, filename, file)
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode

I got the above problem after trying to install Pythonol on my (redhat 9)
system, and for that I installed (IIRC) pygtk. Probably also some other
dependencies. I just don't know anymore, because I did not immediately
notice this problem. However after a while I noticed the redhat-config
scripts could no longer be launched. Then I found out the problem pasted
above was causing that.

After noticing this I have reinstalled every python related package on my
system I could find, but this problem won't go away. I have no clue where
to look and what to do to fix this problem.

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to python, so I probably shouldn't
have messed with it (I had no idea python was so frequently used). But now
that just means I have no idea where to look or what to do next to get this
problem solved. Is there anyone who has an idea as to what is wrong and how
it can be solved? It is driving me crazy, and I'd hate to reinstall my
system just to get this fixed.

Eric