undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Tue Feb 24 10:47:00 EST 2004

Eric Moors wrote:
> Daniel Dittmar wrote:
>> happen. Solution: compile the python module from source, but this
>> requires that the sources of the module have been prepared to deal
>> with UCS4.
>
> Thanks, but...
> Which module? Is this a gtk thing? (The name does suggest this)
> but `rpm -qf _gtk.so` shows that _gtk.so doesn't belong to any
> package. Yet gtk is installed by rpm.

From
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode

I would guess that _gtk.so contains the python bindings to GTK.
PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode is a function that belongs to the Python API.
Perhaps it's best to ask on the PyGTK mailing list on how to install it on
RedHat 9 (http://www.daa.com.au/~james/software/pygtk/).

I don't have much experience with RedHat myself, but from what I've heard on
this mailing list, it could be a good idea to install a second python for
your own programs and leave the system python alone.

Daniel