where does Python stand?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Feb 5 14:42:52 EST 2004

Ben wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
> Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
> not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages...

ASP (Active Server Page) is a technology, not a language - you can code
ASP with at least VB, Jscript and C#.

JSP (Java Server Page) is mostly a way of embedding Java code in a web
page. Here again, more a techno than a language by itself.

VB, C# and Java *are* general purpose programming languages.

PHP, even if it's true that it began as a web scripting language, is now
usable as a stand-alone, 'general purpose' programming language (there's
even a Gtk+ binding...).

> Are
> they more advanced than Python?

Depends... What does 'more advanced' mean ?

> Can Python be integrated with
> Dreamweaver?

I don't think so, at least not like PHP or ASP ir like. If you plan to
use Python for web development, there are many other solutions - Zope,
Spyce, etc, Google is your friend !-)

> Hope some of you can get me out of confusion...

Hope we did !-)

Bruno