PEP-315 ("do" loop)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Wed Feb 18 14:11:11 EST 2004

> 1. It's clever, addresses a definite "wart",  and is syntactically
> similar to try/except. But it's syntax seems like an acquired taste to me.

Clever, perhaps.  Ugly and confusing, yes.  Solves a 'problem' that
isn't a problem, most definitely.

> while 1:
>     line = sys.stdin.readline()
>     if line == "\n":
>         break

I use these all the time, and find them conceptually convenient.  Most
Junior/Senior undergraduate computer science majors have no problems
understanding this concept, so I don't think it is necessary to change
the while syntax.

> until line == "\n":
>     line = sys.stdin.readline()
>
> Would be defined to work exactly like a while loop except the test is
> not evaluated the first time through the loop. Wouldn't this be akin to
> checking at the end of the loop, while maintaining a more while-ish syntax?

As others have said, it is not obvious that until implies "don't test
the condition the first time through".

> Is this at all useful or is something of the order of PEP-315 the way to
> go?

Personally, I find altering the syntax of while, or adding the 'do' to
be a wart.  I've never had problems understanding or writing code like
the following;
while 1:
     #setup
     if <condition>:  break