Installing wxPython and Friends

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 18:53:21 EST 2004

gingaloon at hotmail.com (JamesW) wrote:

> I need to install wxPython to run some programs that interest me.  I
> have had numerous problems, probably due to knowing little about the
> packages and python, and taking the computer over from soemone else.
>
> I have recently carried out a clean install of Linux RH 9.0, hoping
> this may eleviate the problems.
[snip]

Same here, I suspect RedHat 9 is broken (they usually have a missing
symlink or two, like when they broke GCC3)

I managed to compile GLib but then ATK couldn't find it, so I couldn't
even get as far as installing GTK+ let alone wxGTK.

I'm going to have a look through the RH9 install CD's to see if there
are GLib, ATK and GTK+ RPMs I can install. If I get it working, I'll
report back here.

I thought compiling Python, PyQt, TK etc was a nightmare, this is just
taking the Mickey!

wxPython/wxWindows installed like a dream under Windows XP of course,
this is why Linux will never hit the desktop as everyone hopes, the
average user would struggle with RPM/Apt let alone compilation!

For the moment I'm back to PyQt/TKinter for Linux and wxPython/TKinter
for Windows (until Trolltech sort out a non-commercial/GPL Windows Qt
license!)