python-dev Summary for 2004-01-01 through 2004-01-31

Brett C. brett at python.org
Wed Feb 25 20:18:36 EST 2004

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message news:<m3ishwhdb3.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>...
> "Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:
>
> > Brett C.:
> >
> > > --------------------------
> > > Shutting Unicode errors up
> > > --------------------------
> > > Enough people have asked for the ability to silence Unicode errors that
> > > Martin v. L??wis suggested adding a module attribute in sys to specify
> > > whether Unicode errors should be ignored or not.
> >
> >    It is particularly appropriate that this item should exhibit a character
> > encoding problem. I'm sure Martin doesn't have any characters that weird
> > (square root,  partial differential) in his name. Something is wrong in the
> > tool chain, but it doesn't look like a simple incorrect charset declaration.
> > Maybe reST has a problem with non-ASCII characters.
>
> Um, the article as posted to clpy is hasn't been through docutils
> yet... if the mere fact of formatting it as reST caused encoding
> problems, that would indeed be a mysterious and deep effect.
>
> Brett's mail contains a header:

> 	war.OCF.Berkeley.EDU id i1O1oOqk029956
>
> I'd be inclined to blame that.

So would I.  =)  Damn it, that is upsetting.  I save the text in UTF-8
and reST handles it fine (as Michael points out below, it shows up
find in the HTML version).  Aahz has suggested using another SMTP
server for sending out the Summary, but that is a pain in the rear.

Then again I don't love butchering Martin's last name every summary
(and his is pretty much the only consistent reason for worrying about
Unicode).

> The summary looks fine on python.org.

I suggest using the HTML version if you want really nice formatting
and hyperlinks and there are less funky formatting issues thanks to
news or mail readers.

-Brett