Session CGI!

John johng2001 at rediffmail.com
Wed Feb 25 12:44:58 EST 2004

"Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.39.1077638863.8594.python-list at python.org>...
> John wrote:
> > I am not looking for magic. What I am looking for is an elegant
> > solution to manage session info like in ASP/PHP, both of which have
> > doing this for quite a while. It's hardly exotic. It has been a couple
> > of years since I last used ASP, but I think it was session("var") =
> > value in ASP. Can't be simpler than that.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Are you aware that you can use Python as an ASP language? I use tiny ASP
> pages with content like:
>
> <%@Language=Python%>
> <%
> from myapp.html import uiasp
> uiasp.UserInterfaceASP(Application, Session, Request,
> Response).dispatch()
> %>
>
> ...where the dispatch() call writes content to the Response object. I
> wrote a more complete treatment at
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/225299 which
> shows how to write an app so you can deploy it on both IIS/ASP and
> mod python. I admit, I haven't touched the Session object--perhaps you
> can work that bit out and let me know how to do it. :)

Hi Robert,
  I tried both ActivePerl and ActivePython with ASP a couple of years
ago. It's been a while, but I think the session object was straight
forward.

  However our IT dept is not particularly condusive to the idea of
Windows machines outside the firewall. If they did I would have just
used ASP.NET. But I have to do it on Unix (No. I can't use mono on
it).

John