Bartok card game

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:46:08 EST 2004

"Sam" <stardif10 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:403ae161$0$4260$afc38c87 at news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hey all,
>
> I want to create a computerised version of this game, though I'm not
> really sure how to go about it. For those who don't know how the game
> works, here's my attempt at a brief description:
>
> It is very similar to the card game Uno, though played with a standard
> deck of cards. An initial card is played off the top of the deck, and
> then each player has to play a card of the same suit, or the same face
> value in another suit. Whoever gets rid of all their cards first is the
> winner.
>
> The tricky bit is, the winner of a round gets to make up a new rule.
> Some examples might be "when a club is played, skip the next player", or
> "when a heart is played, the next player draws 2 cards", etc. So, I am
> looking for a way to dynamically add rules to the game, without limiting
> the possibilities too harshly. I could always just give a select few
> rules to choose from, but then the game loses it's fun ;)

Have winner separately select condition (from lists of suit and rank) and
action (from a list).  Number of possible rules is product of number of
possible conditions and actions.  Condition in turn is combination of
'suit' (any, red, black, spade, heart, diamond, club) and 'rank' (any,
1-13, even, odd, face).  Number, again, is a product: 7 * 17= 119 (- 1 for
any,any) for sample lists above.  Multiply by number of actions and you
have more than 'a select few' possible rules.  For even more, allow or-ing
of two ranks (3 or 7, etc).

Terry J. Reedy