Nostalgic instruction sequences (Re: Python Productivity Gain?)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Feb 25 07:05:23 EST 2004

"Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" <wmwd2zz02 at sneakemail.com> writes:

> Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> > So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of
> > 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug,
>
> Or the built-in monitor that you got when MacsBug
> wasn't installed.

Indeed; when MacsBug was installed you typed "es" (I think).

I don't recall using the A-trap trick to get out of my crashed
application actually working very often.

How I miss old versions of Mac OS... not at all, actually.

> A MacsBug command I remember using a lot on my
> Mac Plus went something like
>
>    DM DFFFFF1F
>
> I can't remember the exact number. My only record
> of it was written on a box of stick-on labels that
> I kept, long after it was empty, in a strategic place
> on my desk. Recently I threw it out, only remembering
> its significance afterward. Not that it really mattered,
> since it didn't work on any model later than a Mac
> Plus anyway.
>
> Oh, what did it do? Another virtual chocolate fish
> is on offer for answering that...

Pff, no idea.  My (parents') first Mac ran System 7...

I was somewhat startled to notice that when I installed MacsBug on my
parents' newer Mac, there were COLOURS!  What is the world coming to?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  TRSDOS: Friendly old lizard. Or, at least, content to sit there
  eating flies.            -- Jim's pedigree of operating systems, asr