Help: Is Python suitable?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 23 03:30:29 EST 2004

On 22 Feb 2004 22:21:47 -0800, anhtt at hotmail.com (Tran Tuan Anh)
wrote:
> I need to read in a simple textual language (does Python have a
> scanner, and parser?),

Yes, it has several and a framework for building custom ones.

> I wonder if Python is more suitable for this kind of job?

It can certainly do what you ask.

> Hope someone could enlighten me on this matter?

If you haven't done so set asifde a few hours to whiz through the
official Python tutorial, it will be your best bet for getting up
to speed on Python.

THen check out the parser modules in the standard PYthon library
(documentation online or downloadable). Also for this kind of
thing search out David Mertz's online book "Text Processing
in Python" (or buy the paper version!)

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website