Python Productivity Gain?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Feb 18 08:08:05 EST 2004

In article <36wbrnwk5g0.fsf at goya03.ti.uni-mannheim.de>,
Matthias  <no at spam.pls> wrote:
			.
		[good analytic points]
			.
>We agree in the description of the current situation.  That only few
>lab research (with a selection of suitably created language variants
>[1]) is being done is a political decision, however.  It's more sexy
>to create-and-hype new languages/tools/processes than to do actual
>research.
			.
			.
			.
No.  Or even, "No!"

I'm 'bout as quick to impute covert political motives as anyone.
I sure don't see it in this case, though.  Creating-and-hyping
is sooooo much different an activity than "actual reserach" that
I simply don't see them as alternatives for most individuals.
When I apply my razor-of-Occam, I come up with an abundance of
explanations of "the current situation" without needing to
invoke politics; the expense of research jumps to my mind, first,
as apparently is true for others who've written in this thread.

Maybe you mean something different by "political" than I under-
stand.

Incidentally, although I haven't made an opportunity to speak
with him deeply about this, I'm willing to bet that Guido *does*
regard Python as an experiment, and an instance of "actual re-
search".
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net