OT: PHP as a general language (was Re: where does Python stand?)

Ian McConnell ian at emit.demon.co.ukx
Sun Feb 8 04:21:00 EST 2004

Joe Mason <joe at notcharles.ca> writes:

> In article <c718a6cf.0402071225.ea09de6 at posting.google.com>, Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
>> Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
>> just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.
>
> I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
> (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
> through Apache every time).  But I can't find a standalone interpreter
> on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
> Apache.  Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

$ apt-get install php4-cgi

$ php4 -v
PHP 4.3.3 (cli) (built: Nov 19 2003 23:12:29)
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies

--
 "Thinks: I can't think of a thinks. End of thinks routine": Blue Bottle

** Aunty Spam says: Remove the trailing x from the To: field to reply **