my notes for playing DVDs on VIA C3 system (Freevo/MPlayer)

Kyler Laird Kyler at news.Lairds.org
Wed Feb 18 17:11:58 EST 2004

=?UTF-8?B?0LTQsNC80ZjQsNC9INCzLg==?= <mk at net.mail.penguinista> writes:

>> No problem, right?  Digging through some source, I decided to add
>> MPLAYER_AO_DEV       = 'oss'
>> MPLAYER_VO_DEV       = 'vesa'
>> to my configuration.  Now when I started DVD playback, I got a
>> fraction of a second of sound and then MPlayer died, returning me
>> to Freevo.

>Probably you were trying to start Mplayer to use the framebuffer while X11
>is running (does Freevo use X11) .. that should not work...

Using the vesa driver while X is running is fine.  I do it
frequently.

It does screw up the X display, but that's why I added the "chvt"
lines in my wrapper.  Switching out and back causes it to refresh.

--kyler