Why Python?

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Feb 29 21:46:37 EST 2004

> From: Todd7
>
> I am looking at learning Python, but I would like to know what its
> strengths and weaknesses are before I invest much time in
> learning it.  My
> first thought is what is it good for programming, however I expect an
> answer from the python newsgroup to be something like
> "everything".  So
> maybe a better question is what type of programming projects
> is Python a
> bad choice?
>
> What makes it better or worse than languages like perl, php,
> delphi, or
> c++?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22why+python

A couple of things that Python is not good for ...

1. Bondage and discipline programming. If your manager, tech lead, etc insists on static typing, you can't use Python.

2. Bare metal programming. However, Python + C extensions can be reasonable here, depending on how much of your program needs to be extremely low level.

Other than the above, I really haven't encountered any situations where python has not been a reasonable language choice.

Tim Delaney