Python license - again

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Feb 18 16:26:25 EST 2004

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> After a second look I realized that I missed a relevant footnote:
>
> (1) GPL-compatible doesn't mean that we're distributing Python under
>     the GPL.  All Python licenses, unlike the GPL, let you distribute
>     a modified version without making your changes open source.  The
>     GPL-compatible licenses make it possible to combine Python with
>     other software that is released under the GPL; the others don't.
>
> So this means that Python is a BSD-style license, correct?

In the sense that I'm guessing you mean, yes.  I'm not a lawyer either,
however, and it's generally assumed that anyone asking questions like
this in a public forum either hasn't got a clue, or knows enough to
know that not knowing enough can be a dangerous thing.  I'll assume
the latter for you. :-)

I think of the Python license as a much wordier BSD or MIT license with
historical baggage.

-Peter