using the zipimporter module from my own C code?

Paul Miller paul at fxtech.com
Wed Feb 11 15:44:01 EST 2004

>I'm starting to use the nifty 2.3 feature where modules can be bundled
>into .zip files. I'd like to bundle additional (text) data files in the
>same zip file, and load them in my C code.

By looking at zipimport.c and import.c in the Python code, I was able to
figure out how to get this to work. Here is the code, if anyone is interested:

         // get the zipimport module
         PyObject *zipimport = ::PyImport_ImportModule("zipimport");
         if (zipimport)
         {
                 // get the zipimporter type
                 PyObject *zipimporter =
::PyObject_GetAttrString(zipimport, "zipimporter");
                 if (zipimporter)
                 {
                         // here is the zip file path to open
                         std::string path = "full_path_to.zip";

                         // "call" the type to create a new zipimporter
instance, with the path
                         PyObject *importer =
::PyObject_CallFunction(zipimporter, "s", path.c_str());
                         if (importer)
                         {
                                 // call the "get_data" method passing the
name of the file to retrieve
                                 PyObject *data =
::PyObject_CallMethod(importer, "get_data", "s", file.c_str());
                                 if (data)
                                 {
                                         // get the data as a string (this
assumes the file is TEXT)