How did you learn Python?

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 3 14:02:58 EST 2004

Shawn Milo wrote:
 > How did you learn Python?
 >
> I was just wondering what the best books were for learning Python.

If you're open to options besides ink-on-tree, this is how I did it:

I read the official tutorial, trying stuff out in the interactive
interpreter when I didn't get something/had questions. Read the first
couple of sections of the Library Reference (especially the Built-in
objects/functions), skimming when you get to those long lists of
functions/objects. Decided "for language lawyers" was likely a joke;
read/skimmed the Language Reference (turns out it's half a joke). Then I
lurked on comp.lang.python.

I've since picked up a few books & looked at highly recommended on-line
tutorials. For the most part, they mainly repeat the stuff in the
official documentation and the stuff that isn't in there gets brought up
on c.l.py eventually. But YMMV, and you may prefer other tutorials to
the official one.

BTW, I've found the trickiest part of learning python really can't be
taught in books. I mean, it's stated in the books, but the words don't
really help. It's understanding the philosophy behind the way Python
does things, like the object/assignment model and object orientation,
that's key. This understanding comes from experience, and I think it's
something we're all still working on.

P.S. I haven't said yet how much I've appreciated the excellent
documetation the Python crew has put out. It was literally only an
afternoon before I had completed the tutorial and had a good impression
of what this "Python thing" was all about. I've since tried to do the
same with other languages (eg. OCaml & TCL), but haven't had as much
success. Kudos to Guido, Fred, and the others.