Tkinter vs wxPython

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 29 08:46:22 EST 2004

Alejandro Weinstein wrote:

>>Sure wxGlade/Boa/etc can help speed design and layout up, but what
>>happens when you want to do non standard things or just get stuck
>>because some thing just isn't working.
>

> Then you add the necesary hand crafted code to the automatic
> generated code. At least is what I did when I needed.

I've tried a number of these tools, including BlackAdder, wxDesigner,
wxGlade and BoaConstructor. I even paid money for some of them. They all
have their problems, and I keep coming back to good old PythonCard. It's
kinda clunky (though I have most experience with the 0.7 prototype, and
the newer releases are improving), but it's definitely the most usable
of all the ones I've tried. Dammit, you can actually *do stuff* with it
rather than spend all your time fighting the tool.

The only complaint I have is the need to add components from a menu
rather than a tool, but I patched 0.7 to fix that, and I believe it will
be possible to patch the 0.8 series to operate the same way.

Whether I'll ever persuade Kevin Altis to include the patch in a live
release is, of course, a question for another day :-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119