Complementary language?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 25 21:23:14 EST 2004

HackingYodel wrote:
> Hello all!  I'm learning to program at home.  I can't imagine a better
> language than Python for this.  The ideal situation, for me, would be to
> study two languages at the same time.  Probably sounds crazy, but it
> works out better for me.  Being a newbie, I find almost all languages
> fascinating.  C, D, Objective-C, Ocaml, C++, Lisp, how is a non-tech to
> choose?  Does any single language do a better job in Python's weaker
> areas? Would anyone care to suggest one to supplement Python.  That is,
> if you could only use Python and one other language, which would it be?
>  Thank you for your time and help.

Python (CPython - aka standard - implementation) and C would be my preferred
combination.

The reason is that I often work with hardware, and hardware means C (since every
vendor I have ever dealt with provides a C API for their drivers).

It combines well with the CPython interpreter as that, as you may have guessed
from the name, is written in C and exports a direct C/API.

Cheers,
Nick.