python & nurbs

Jelle Feringa // EZCT / Paris jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Sun Dec 19 10:49:05 EST 2004

> Hint to get a useful answer: Define your needs.  Display in 3D (want to
> use them to define and display geometry)?  Numeric analysis (writing
> some sort of CAD or automation system)?  Modeling system (want some way
> to interactively define them)?

I wish I could give you a well defined answer to this.
At the moment I'm fed up by the limited capabilities of mainstream cad
modelers such as Rhino. I'm interested in using for instance Gaussian
curvature functions to model geometry. More interested in computing rather
than drawing. The problem so far is that either you computer or draw. I'm
looking for something that would do both. For instance I've been studying to
script Rhino (using COM) which looks promising, but since Rhino isn't a
parametric modeler, it wont meet my need. Topsolid looks like an option.
Too bad blender doesn't have any cad/parametric capabilities, that could
have been a sweet option

> OpenGLContext has a set of NURBs nodes modeled after the VRML97 NURBs
> extension, though they don't see all that much usage.  I would imagine
> some of the other retained-mode systems have them as well.
>
> My collection of links to retained-mode engines is here:
>     http://www.vrplumber.com/py3d.py?category=retained

Coooool! I've had a few look arounds your site, its GREAT!!! Best
python/graphic portal I've seen so far! Thank you!!!

> If you want something for doing numeric analysis of NURBs, don't know
> where you'd find it.
> Many 3D modelers will let you create nurbs surfaces.  IIRC Rhino was the
> pre-eminent NURBs-focused modeler a few years ago.

Rhino has been my tool of trade for quite some time.
Time to move over to an environment to profoundly supports python scripting!
My feeling is that Rhino is getting out of date rapidly by the lack of
parametric modeling. But let me stop discussing this soft on this list...

Thanks for your feedback so far!