python & nurbs

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sun Dec 19 10:27:38 EST 2004

Jelle Feringa // EZCT / Paris wrote:

>Is anyone aware of a python nurbs module?
>So far I found Runar Tenfjord's effort, which is quite interesting:
>http://runten.tripod.com/NURBS/
>But in the end doesn't really meet my needs.
>Any suggestions?

Hint to get a useful answer: Define your needs.  Display in 3D (want to
use them to define and display geometry)?  Numeric analysis (writing
some sort of CAD or automation system)?  Modeling system (want some way
to interactively define them)?

OpenGLContext has a set of NURBs nodes modeled after the VRML97 NURBs
extension, though they don't see all that much usage.  I would imagine
some of the other retained-mode systems have them as well.

My collection of links to retained-mode engines is here:
    http://www.vrplumber.com/py3d.py?category=retained

If you want something for doing numeric analysis of NURBs, don't know
where you'd find it.
Many 3D modelers will let you create nurbs surfaces.  IIRC Rhino was the
pre-eminent NURBs-focused modeler a few years ago.

Good luck,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder