why no python setup.py uninstall?

alia_khouri at yahoo.com alia_khouri at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 18:10:05 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> On your specific reason for asking: I would suggest
> just not worrying about "being extra clean about it".
> Python's generally pretty good about not messing up
> when you install a new version of something without
> uninstalling the previous version.

Granted. However, the reason I did bring this up to begin with was the
odd 'exceptional' case when doing the python setup.py install
incantation over an older installation did cause problems.

I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
Pythonia.

AK