Jython performance

Kent Johnson kent3737 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 05:52:07 EST 2004

Sean Blakey wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:55 -0200, Gabriel Cosentino de Barros
> <aut_gbarros at uolinc.com> wrote:
>>
>>On the "Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?" tread some people
>>mentioned jython. I went to read about it, but i was wondering if anyone has
>>any real project done with it and can give real world comments about
>>performance.
>
> I've been very happy with it's performance, after the one-time
> interpreter startup.

That matches my experience as well. I have written a medium-sized GUI app using Jython and Swing and
I am very happy with the performance. Most of the heavy lifting is done in Java libraries anyway -
primarily Swing, dom4j and Velocity in my case.

The initial import of a module is relatively slow and I often defer importing a module until it is
needed. Other than that I have been pleased with the performance.

Kent