New versions breaking extensions, etc.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 12 17:11:36 EST 2004

Jive wrote:
>>Either VS.NET 2003 or VC++ .NET 2003 should do (although I don't know
>>anybody who owns the latter to be sure). The core issue is that it needs
>>a "native" C++ compiler (ie. not just managed C++), and that it needs
>>mscvcr71.dll.
>>

> Sorry if I'm being dense.   If I had that DLL, why couldn't I use VC++ 6.0?

Sorry for being imprecise. You don't need just msvcr71.dll, you need an
import library for it, and you need to cause link.exe to use that import
library. VC6 will continue to link your extension modules with
msvcrt40.dll - regardless of what other DLLs you have on your system.

It might be that you also need the header files for msvcr71.dll,
although I believe you could get away with using the "wrong" (i.e.
VC6) header files.

Regards,
Martin