New versions breaking extensions, etc.

Jive someone at microsoft.com
Sun Dec 12 23:52:40 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
news:41bcc218$0$23135$9b622d9e at news.freenet.de...
> Jive wrote:
> >>Either VS.NET 2003 or VC++ .NET 2003 should do (although I don't know
> >>anybody who owns the latter to be sure). The core issue is that it needs
> >>a "native" C++ compiler (ie. not just managed C++), and that it needs
> >>mscvcr71.dll.
> >>

> > Sorry if I'm being dense.   If I had that DLL, why couldn't I use VC++
6.0?

> Sorry for being imprecise. You don't need just msvcr71.dll, you need an
> import library for it, and you need to cause link.exe to use that import
> library. VC6 will continue to link your extension modules with
> msvcrt40.dll - regardless of what other DLLs you have on your system.
>
> It might be that you also need the header files for msvcr71.dll,
> although I believe you could get away with using the "wrong" (i.e.
> VC6) header files.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Well, ain't that enough to gag a maggot?  I was aware that DLL's don't
really link dynamically.  I was not aware that the crt dll file name was
hard-coded into the linker.  But I looked on the link line and, sure enough,
that particular dll was not listed among the others.

Malice or incompetence? You be the judge.