Winge IDE Issue - an suggestions?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Dec 16 20:26:35 EST 2004

Mike Thompson <none.by.e-mail> writes:

(...)
> WingIDE bug seemed the only explanation, although it was puzzling me
> that something so obvious could make it through their QA. Thanks again.

I haven't used ElementTree, but if it includes an extension module
(likely for performance), it's important to realize that WingIDE's
debugger specifically catches exceptions that occur on the "far" side
of an extension module.  So even if that extension module would
normally suppress the exception, thus hiding it from the original
Python code that called the extension module, Wing's debugger will
stop at it, which is different than normal runtime.

This can actually be very helpful, since for example, debuggers that
can't do this can't stop on exceptions in cases such as wxPython event
handlers, since they occur from within a C extension too.

Wing has a bunch of default locations that it ignores (that would
otherwise trigger via normal standard library calls), but for your own
applications or libraries, you need to teach it a bit, by asking it to
ignore locations you know not to be relevent to your code.  Once you
mark such a location, it is remembered in your project so it won't
bother you again.

This was discussed a bit more in depth recently in the "False
Exceptions" thread on this group.  See:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/f996d6554334e350/e581bea434d3d248

-- David