Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Tue Dec 28 12:37:27 EST 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 12:22 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:

>> 	Obviously, something like that could also be added - do you
>> want to help develop Dabo? We're always looking for talented people
>> with good ideas!
>
> Only if you want to hire me.  I mostly do volunteer development only
> on GPL projects.  If I'm writing something that can become part of a
> commercial Microsoft product, I expect to be paid.  But I don't mind
> posting snarky comments :).

	Oh, geez. After months of us getting skewered for releasing Dabo under
GPL, with everyone saying that they wouldn't even *look* at it for fear
of 'infecting' all of their code, we change the license to the MIT
license, and now the complaint is that Microsoft is going to sell the
code!

	Ever get that feeling that you can't win?  ;-)

> I hope Dabo can read the xml files Glade generates, so you have a gui
> builder that's already deployed.

	That's definitely part of the development plan. But after looking at
Glade and several other designers, our conclusion is that they all lack
something: either flexibility, ease of use, or something else. Sizers
were probably the item that was the most difficult thing to handle
well. The best designer for sizers we found was Qt Designer. We'd like
to make our designer as visually clear as that one.

	Also, Dabo is not just a UI toolkit: it's a full 3-tier application
framework. Our major design goal is to integrate the database
connections defined into the UI designer, so that you can drag and drop
fields from the tables in the connection onto the design surface, and
create data-bound controls in one step.

      ___/
     /
    __/