New versions breaking extensions, etc.

Jive someone at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 10 21:31:20 EST 2004

Can someone explain to me why Python 2.4 on MS Windows has these backward
compatibility problems?  What am I missing?  Why won't extensions compiled
to run with 2.3 also work with 2.4?  Why does it matter whether a component
was compiled with VC++ 6.0 or 7.1?  I've been using MS stuff for 6 years.
Before I started using Python, I don't remember ever having a program tell
me I had to use an OLDER version of something to make the program work.
Newer, maybe, but older, never.   I had to revert to Python 2.3 because I
have applications that will not run under Python 2.4.

Although I have been a full-time software developer since the late 70's, I
don't know much about Microsoft stuff.  (Amazing trick that, eh?) But I've
been reading some things on the MS web pages that say dot-NET and all that
should NOT break existing stuff.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_c_run.2d.time_libraries.asp I
don't pretend to understand it all, but certainly one would not expect MS to
screw things up too badly on purpose.  The value of MS Windows lies in the
applications that it can run.  That's part of the genius of the Evil Genius.
He understood when others didn't that when Joe Blow in his basement develops
a program to run under MS Windows, Joe Blow is making money for the E.G.,
and it doesn't cost the E.G. a penny.

In my own small domain,  I cannot even consider coming out with new releases
that are not drop-in replacements for what went before.  Customers won't go
for it.   It's an absolute deal-breaker.

What puzzles me is that, apparently, the incompatibility of Python 2.4 and
extensions built for 2.3 did not come as a nasty surprise.  I get the
impression that it was expected.  Can someone explain that to me?

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining.  I think Python is great.
And the price can't be beat!