New versions breaking extensions, etc.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 11 00:28:23 EST 2004

Jive wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why Python 2.4 on MS Windows has these backward
> compatibility problems?  What am I missing?

The problem is the Python C/API. At the moment, it exposes things directly (like
data structures) that may change size between major version releases. The other
issue is that the interpreter and the extensions may be linked to different
versions of the Microsoft runtime.

This is a solvable problem, but it would require:
   1. Major additions to the C/API - a "Python Major Version Agnostic" API that
hides all data structures behind opaque pointers, never passes file descriptors
between the interpreter and the extension and never gets Python to delete memory
allocated by the extension (or vice-versa)
   2. Rewriting extensions to use the new API functions instead of the current
major version specific ones.

Such an API is likely to be both harder to work with and slower, simply due to
the limitations of C.

To this date, no-one has cared enough about the problem to put in the effort
required to make the C API version agnostic. Given that the API almost always
remains *source* compatible, within a month or two of a new Python release, the
extension developers have generally tweaked their build environments to also
produce binaries for the new release.

In the current case (Python 2.4), the transition from msvcrt to msvcrt71, and
the poor quality of the free development tools offered by Microsoft has
exacerbated the problem on Windows. The Python developers are looking at
improving the documentation and support for building extensions with Windows
compilers other than Visual Studio .Net 2003 (mainly MinGW and the free MS tools).

Although key extension developers could always try asking the PSF to buy them a
Visual Studio license ;)

Cheers,
Nick.