newsgroups

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 12 19:55:11 EST 2004

"Egor Bolonev" <ebolonev at mail.ru> wrote in message
news:opsiwzzfynxejsk1 at theurs.octopusnet.lan...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:57:50 -0500, Francis Lavoie <francisl at aei.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Do we need a special account or something to use the newsgroup instead
>> of the mailling list?

news.gmane.org gives you access to technical mailing lists, including about
50 Python lists, via a newgroup interface.  All you need is a newsreader
program or a combined mail/news program and set up an 'account' for that
program.

> why we use newsgroup instead of mailing list?

A. newsgroup interface keeps each group/list segregated from regular email
(and spam) without having to create an inbox and a rule to somehow direct
mail from a particular list to that box.

B. newsgroup interface allows one to only download articles that one wants
to read.  It also allows easy bulk deletion of downloaded material.

Terry J. Reedy