Skinnable/Stylable windows in wxPython?

mefjr75 at hotmail.com mefjr75 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 12:01:57 EST 2004

Hello Daniel,
The wxPopupWindow is also missing several things that would make it
suitable for a frame, like accelerator events. I built a 'chromeless'
picture viewer once using wxPopupWindow and it worked , but it was
missing things I needed because of missing functionality in
wxPopupWindow. IMHO is isn't intended to be used as a full featured
frame.
The only way *I* know how to skin an app in wxWindows is using
wxShapedWindow .wxShapedWindow just changes the frame shape, you then
need to render a background picture and then place elements on that
background for buttons and other controls, you also will have to
implement functionality for those elements so they work like normal
controls, plus a hundred other gotchas.
Skinning is a pain ,and to do it right you probably need to use a
'DoubleBufferedDc' so your elements won't flicker when you click or
move them. I started writing a generic skinner class that does the hard
stuff but when I tested found that it needed to be rewritten using a
DoubleBefferedDC. Maybe someday...
Hope any of this helps maybe others have diffrent ideas.
M.E.Farmer