BASIC vs Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Dec 18 17:37:27 EST 2004

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

I like your categories, but you forgot one.

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:54:45 -0500, Adam DePrince <adam at cognitcorp.com>
>> I'd like to ask everybody a simple question.  How many computer
>> languages are you completely and utterly fluent in?  The reason I ask is
>
> 	"Completely and utterly"? None -- they change too fast to claim
> that.

Nah. C is pretty much set. The standard libraries you need, on the
other hand, are something else.

> 	Productive in?

Python, C, Eiffel, make

> 	Familiar enough to at least produce code in?

FORTRAN, sh, awk

You forgot an important category here. Can debug, if not produce code
from scratch:

Common LISP, Pascal, Scheme

> 	Have toyed with?

I presume these means you've written at least one program in it, and
forgotten most of the langauge since.

Logo, Erlang, ML, Prolog, Postscript, Forth, Perl, yacc, lex, Amiga
REXX, VMS batch scripts.

> 	Want to forget?

MS BASIC (Apple, TRS80 and Amiga), Logo, Assembly(8080, z80, 8086,
6809, 68K, PDP-11, PDP-10), Perl, C++, Java

      <mike