[Python-Help] (fwd)

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Dec 5 04:50:10 EST 2004

At 10:07 PM 12/4/2004, Alfred Canoy wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm just new to programming and would like to ask for help..
>
>Build a module that contains three functions that do the following:
>
>      a.. Compute the average of a list of numbers
>      b.. Finds the statistical median value of a list of numbers

The middle value in a distribution, above and below which lie an equal
number of values.

>      c.. Finds the mode of a list of numbers

The value or item occurring most frequently in a series of observations or
statistical data.

>Can you please give me clue how I should start solving the following problem
>below? Here's the source code that I did so far:
>
># compute the average of a list of numbers:
># Keeps asking for numbers until 0 is entered
># Prints the average value
>
>count = 0
>sum = 0
>number = 1
>
>print 'Enter 0 to exit the loop'
>while number != 0:
>    number = input ('Enter a number: ')
>    count = count + 1
>    sum = sum + number
>count = count -1
>print ' The average is:', sum/count

Great start. In addition append each numbers to a list. Then it is easy to
find the middle of the list for the median. Use a dictionary keyed by the
numbers to count their frequency, then find the entry with the highest
frequency.

See http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/ for lists and
dictionaries.

Give it a shot, show us what you come up with, and we'll take the next step.

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625 home
720 938 2625 cell