Python2.4: building '_socket' extension fails with `INET_ADDRSTRLEN' undeclared

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Dec 4 03:47:12 EST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build Python2.4 on a rather old Debian machine. I only
>> have a shell account there. That's why I'm very limited in my actions.
>>
>> Building _socket fails (see below) although I tried to use
>>
>> configure --disable-ipv6
>>
>> Any clue?
>
> Hard to say, since you don't indicate what clues you are lacking.

My wanted clue: How to build it without modifying the Python 2.4 sources?

> In general, when the C compiler gives an error message, it is best
> to try to understand the error message. The message reads
>
> socketmodule.c:3350: `INET_ADDRSTRLEN' undeclared (first use this function)

Thanks for your answer. I do understand the message. I searched some
archives and found similar bug reports in the SF issue tracker which
were for Python 2.3 on Irix and seemed to be fixed.

> Looking at a more recent system in /usr/include, I get
>
> /usr/include$ grep -r ADDRSTRLEN .
> ./netinet/in.h:#define INET_ADDRSTRLEN 16

Note that building Python2.2 worked on the very same machine. I've added

#define INET_ADDRSTRLEN 16

to socketmodule.h and it worked. But I think there might be something
wrong with the autoconf stuff.

I filed bug [ 1078245 ]:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1078245&group_id=5470&atid=105470

Ciao, Michael.