Tkinter vs wxPython

Thomas Bartkus tom at dtsam.com
Wed Dec 29 14:37:22 EST 2004

"Jarek Zgoda" <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> wrote in message
news:cqsgoc$fmd$1 at atlantis.news.tpi.pl...
> Cameron Laird wrote:
>
> Well, while on Windows "native" look exists, on X11 "native" has other
> meaning. On my wife's desktop it's KDE that is native, GNUStep is native
> on mine and I strongly object calling GTK "native", as one can read on
> SWT/Eclipse website. There's no "universally native" look on X11. Some
> toolkits look better, but this is a matter of personal taste, for
> software developer clean, stable API and suitable widgets are of much
> higher value.

What I think people mean by "native" is that it follows the design scheme
selected for the desktop.

When run under Linux, my wxPython programs follow the look and feel of my
Gnome desktop.  When the same program is run on Windows, it follows that
desktop theme. Both Gnome and Windows XP alter the the controls design
according to user preferences.  wxPython GUIs reflect this automatically and
the controls always look and work like the underlying system.

I may be wrong but I don't think you get that with TKinter!
Thomas Bartkus