create lowercase strings in lists - was: (No subject)

Mark Devine markdevine at eircom.net
Fri Dec 17 05:14:00 EST 2004

I got the script working. Thanks for all your help everyone. Trouble is its not showing the correct results. Here is the script and results:

#!/usr/bin/env python
import os
import sys
import time
import string
import pexpect
import commands
from sets import Set as set

# Test if the words of list2 elements appear in any order in list1 elements
# disregarding case and parens

# Reference list
list1 = ["a b C (D)", "D A B", "A B E"]
# Test list
list2 = ["A B C D", "A B D", "A E F", "A (E) B", "A B", "E A B" ]

def normalize(text, unwanted = "()", table = string.maketrans(string.ascii_uppercase,string.ascii_lowercase)):
	text.translate(table,unwanted)
	return set(text.split())

reflist = [normalize(element) for element in list1]
print reflist

#This is the list of sets to test against

def testmember(element):
	"""is element a member of the reflist, according to the above rules?"""
	testelement = normalize(element)
#brute force comparison until match - depends on small reflist
	for el in reflist:
		if el.issuperset(testelement):
			return True
	return False