Mutable objects which define __hash__ (was Re: Why are tuples immutable?)

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Dec 22 13:24:56 EST 2004

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> I have a different suggestion: an identity dictionary.
>
> It ignores __hash__, __cmp__ and __eq__, and instead uses id() and is.

This might be useful in some special cases, though it's pretty easy to
use a standard dict and explicitly use object ids as keys ( d[id(myobj)]
= ... ).

It is, however, obviously not a replacement for the current
implementation of dicts in the general case.  Having keys, including
sequence keys, which can compare by value is essential for the vast
majority of (sane) dictionary use-cases.

To be honest, given how easy it is to key a current dict off of object
id, I don't see much real value in creating a separate dict type that
does it by default.  But as long as it's an addition, rather than a
change to existing behavior, then the only real problem with it is the
standard "makes the language bigger".

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International