Mutable objects which define __hash__ (was Re: Why are tuples immutable?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 23 01:23:21 EST 2004

Jeff Shannon wrote:
> To be honest, given how easy it is to key a current dict off of object
> id, I don't see much real value in creating a separate dict type that
> does it by default.  But as long as it's an addition, rather than a
> change to existing behavior, then the only real problem with it is the
> standard "makes the language bigger".

Something which used different behaviour at C-level could be a fair bit faster,
since it wouldn't have to jump back into the eval loop all the time when looking
up the hash or comparison functions. Passing id() into the dictionary isn't so
good either, as you have to make the function call on every item lookup, and you
can't effectively iterate over the contents of the dictionary.

Its utility might be more obvious as a set variant rather than a dictionary
variant, though, as the best use I can see for it is in using sets to classify
mutable objects like lists (such as Antoon's example of applying special
processing to certain graph points).

Cheers,
Nick.